
Almost six months to the day (March 24th) that Tita Emer went home to the Lord, we walked in her honor.
Sunday, September 14 was the annual Ovarian Cancer Run/Walk, which was held at CBS Studios, and was organized by the Ovarian Cancer Coalition of Greater California. Steve, Kuya, Cindi, and I participated in the 3K/5K Walk portion. It was a very festive atmosphere. You could tell families make this an annual ritual. Many teams even had their own personalized t-shirts with the pictures and names of their loved ones. I also saw many people with a sheet of paper pinned to their back with the words- "I run in honor of my Mom (name)" and a picture of their Mom with her years printed below.
I was especially touched when I saw a family wearing a t-shirt with the image of a young girl in what looked like a prom or homecoming photo. When I looked at the date range below her image, I calculated 16 years old!!! Cancer knows no boundaries, folks.
Steve & I had volunteered to give away caps, but for some reason, the caps never came. So, instead, we wandered the booths -picking up Awareness & health brochures and sampling health foods from Whole Foods.
I didn't have time this year to organize a team, but I hope to next year. By then, the babies (Alexandria & Evan) will be a little older; and can perhaps participate in a walk to honor their wonderful Grand Aunt Emer.
I was especially touched when I saw a family wearing a t-shirt with the image of a young girl in what looked like a prom or homecoming photo. When I looked at the date range below her image, I calculated 16 years old!!! Cancer knows no boundaries, folks.
Steve & I had volunteered to give away caps, but for some reason, the caps never came. So, instead, we wandered the booths -picking up Awareness & health brochures and sampling health foods from Whole Foods.
I didn't have time this year to organize a team, but I hope to next year. By then, the babies (Alexandria & Evan) will be a little older; and can perhaps participate in a walk to honor their wonderful Grand Aunt Emer.
I got teary-eyed when the DJ started playing John Mayer's "Say What You Need to Say." I love that song for its haunting melody and beautiful lyrics. This is my favorite part. So true.
Have no fear For giving in
Have no fear For giving over
You better know
that in the end
It's better to say too much
Then never to say what you
need to say againEven if your hands are shaking
And your faith is
broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open...
wide....
We love and miss you, Tita Emer!


No comments:
Post a Comment