Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Enjoy the Silence... Not

I was in early grade school in the '80s when this band made it into the big time. I couldn't get through recess without one of my classmates chanting "Master & Servant" or "Just Can't Get Enough." Personally, "People are People" was (correction, is) my favorite. So when I heard that Depeche Mode was coming to town, I knew I just had to go see them play.

In fact, the concert almost didn't happen due to Dave Gahan's voice ailment in the days preceding. Disappointing for our neighbors up North and down South; because their shows were cancelled- and not rescheduled.

Fortunately, Dave kicked the frog in his voice and our show did happen. We had a blast, although I was bummed that they didn't play some of my favorite DM songs (ahem, "People...," "Question of Lust," "Shake the Disease.") Overall, though, we had a good time. Loved the Hollywood Bowl, by the way. It was my first time watching a show there, and I will definitely go back.

Check out our pics:

From our vantage point at the Hollywood Bowl



The crowd went wild at seeing the "Strangelove" video as the backdrop for the first encore



Cool props, eh?!



What's a DM show without a rendition of "Personal Jesus?" (Not exactly the best clip since I was filming right behind two guys who liked to stand for most of the show.)



p.s.
I just found out that the playlist for the second night of their L.A. stopover was different than ours (first show)... and they played two of my all time favorite DM songs, "Shake the Disease" and "Question of Lust." Thanks alot, DM.

No comments: