Not surprisingly, she gained 2lbs and 1/2 ounce from the last appointment on January 9. She also grew a whopping 2 inches, which puts her in the 75th percentile in terms of height, and 55th percentile for weight. The doctor said that if she continues her current height trajectory, she could grow to about 5'6.

Other things discussed:
- Giving Lexie a vitamin supplement of Tri-Vi-Sol; because according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, there's insufficient Vitamin D in breast milk. I was a little hesitant due to possible side effects, so I've been doing research online, as well as asking other mommies. My own Mom said she gave us this stuff when my brother and I were babies. Other Moms were equally adamant about the need for vitamin supplements, while other Moms seemed to believe that breast milk met babies' needs 100%.
Steve said that since I've already asked and gotten affirmations from three different Pediatricians, we should give her the vitamins.
- Lexie seems to be exhibiting signs of teething based on how much she loves to suck on her hands and drools. Moreover, the Doctor doesn't seem to think that the first tooth will arrive until about 6-7 months.
- Lexie seems to have a flatter right side of her head than her left. When the Doctor sat her upright, I saw what he was referring to. And I'm not surprised. Lexie loves to sleep on her right side. She also usually gravitates toward her right even while she's being held. The Doctor recommended tummy time (DOH!) and "making" her look/sleep in the opposite direction (e.g. using a towel to prop her head toward the left side).
- Lexie loves her mirrors. She was staring at it all the while we were at the Dr's office. Oooh, hopefully, this doesn't equate to vanity. LOL
- Lexie's got very dry skin. The Doctor likened it to parchment paper; and said that her dry skin means she's got very sensitive skin and is thus more prone to skin ailments, such as eczema. He said no to long baths or frequent bathing (the most is 2x/week) and yes to baby detergent (which we already do).
I already lather Lexie with Aveeno Baby Lotion daily; so I'm not sure what else to do other than switch lotions yet again. (We had been using Johnson's Baby Lotion previously.) I do recall that Lexie's skin was already very dry even right after birth - when she and I were still in the hospital, so it may be an inborn trait- especially since Steve's also got dry, sensitive skin.
All in all, this appointment went more quickly than the previous one, since it was more of a quick wellness once-over. Her next "big" appointment is next month at 4months, where she gets another set of vaccinations. Yikes.
But overall, we're happy to report that our baby girl is thriving. Yahaay!


No comments:
Post a Comment