Saturday, December 6, 2008

Happy One Month "B'Day"

Editor's note:
I'm resuming this post after a six day hiatus. Not surprisingly, the Boss Woman-Baby had commanded our attention and efforts this whole time.

Again, I blog while Lexie is sleeping. Call me crazy, but I still have not gotten the hang of sleeping during the few times she naps during the day/early evening. I consider it my personal "catch-up" time. Anyway, let me get down to business before she wakes- which she frequently does, by the way.

Lots of things to report. For some of you who've actually gotten a hold of me or whom I've called back, this may be old news; so you can fast-forward. For others, please feel free to read on.

Lexie turned one month on December 4. I cannot believe that one month has already elapsed since she blazed into our lives. It's been a crazy hectic busy time ever since. I can't even remember the last time I was so busy and exhausted almost every minute of every hour of every day. Not even working full time, while going to MBA school full-time can compare to Motherhood. Not complaining, just sayin'- this Parenthood business is HARD WORK!

Goings-on:

1. At Lexie's one month appointment yesterday (12/5), she weighed in at 8 pounds and measured 21 inches. She's still on the slight weight division; but the Pediatrician gave her a thumbs-up on all counts. The Ped said that as long as she gains at least one pound per month, she's doing well. I was so relieved to hear this- especially since I've been trying to exclusively breastfeed Lexie (with the occasional one to two bottles of formula every several days or so). Because Lexie only gets an occasional 3oz of formula, the Ped concluded that Lexie must getting enough sustenance from me. Yah! Also, the Ped said if I was ever concerned about the baby's weight, I could bring her in every two weeks for a weight check. So far, I love this Pediatric group:)

2. The Ped doesn't seem to think Lexie has colic (Thank you, Lord!). Rather, she thinks that Lexie's consistent /fussiness during the evening-night hours can be attributed to something called the Witching Hour. I read up on it; and it does sound like exactly what Steve and I have been going through with this Munchkin during the last three weeks (remember, she's only 4.5 weeks old). At first, we thought her crankiness was due to gas; so we introduced Mylicon to her. That didn't really work. So I tried tweaking my diet to eliminate dairy, chocolate, and caffeine- thinking that something in those elements didn't agree with her little tummy. Didn't really see a difference. Then we tried gripe water a few days ago. Well, yesterday and today, Lexie has been ALOT calmer. Not sure if this is attributable to the gripe water, but whatever it is, has made a big difference. Let's hope her sweet temperament continues; because both Steve and I have been both physically and emotionally exhausted from all her crying interludes.

3. Lexie is now smiling- which is Michelangelo to my eyes! I am over the moon and back every time she flashes a gummy smile.

4. She tries to hold her bottle and pacifier by herself. Seriously. She even tries to put back the pacifier when it falls out of her mouth. I tell you.... this kid is so smart:)

5. She is starting to swat at the little animals on her rocker, and even pulled down the little dog lever herself. (<--Thanks to Vanessa for this absolute must-have rocker! It has been a sanity-saver.)

6. She is beginning to follow objects with her eyes.

7. She is conversing with us in her "dialect." When Steve says "Good morning" to her before he leaves for work in the morning, she responds with "Gaaa."

8. Per the Pediatrician's orders, we are now instituting one hour of tummy time to help Lexie develop her neck and shoulder muscles, as well as to prevent a flat head. Although she doesn't like it and definitely lets us know of her distaste, we have found that she enjoys looking at herself in the mirror.

9. She can raise her neck 45 degrees (and sometimes even 90 degrees) and look around for about 10 seconds or more.

and finally,

10. Her Pediatrician noted how sociable Lexie is ("she wants to meet the world") and how we've basically spoiled her by cuddling/picking her up constantly. It's amazing how much medical opinion differs; because Steve & I have read that from 0-3months, you can never spoil a baby too much by picking her up. Besides, she should try living with a squalling baby who won't stop until you pick her up. hmph.

Okay, I'm going to stop here and actually publish this post before the Boss Woman/Baby interrupts what little train of thought I have left.

No comments: