Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Result Is In



and we're having a .... GIRL !!!!

Steve and I found out during out the **big** diagnostic ultrasound yesterday with our perinatologist, "Dr. Orville Redenbacher" (not his real name, of course, but according to Steve, a dead-ringer for the Popcorn Pioneer). "Dr. Redenbacher," in his own words, was "pretty positive" that the baby is a girl. Honestly, I was not surprised when he told us. Call it maternal instinct, but I just **knew** from the minute we found out we were pregnant. Apparently, other family members and friends thought likewise.
Okay, back to the ultrasound, upon entry, "Dr. Redenbacher" got down to business right away - without a "G'Morning or Hello" -showing us the four chambers of her heart, the two hemispheres of her brain, her spine, rib cage, jawbone, limbs, and skull. We were very relieved when he stated that all her organs are functioning as expected; and that he saw two arms and two legs.

I have to go back to him when I reach my 32nd week. He wants to do another ultrasound to make sure the baby is growing as expected. If not, he said he's going to put me on bed rest for the one month leading up to delivery.

Also, he pushed back my due date by four days- from November 9 to November 13. Steve and I chuckled because if the baby is born on the 13th, then all three of our birthdays would land on the 13th of a month.

All in all, i t was very surreal experience to see this little human being on the screen and know that she was kicking/swimming/dancing around inside you at that very moment.
Admittedly, we were disappointed that "Dr. Redenbacher" wasn't a little bit more engaging or warm. We found him to be very knowledgeable, clinical, and to the point - not bad traits to have in a Doctor- but as expectant first-time parents, we hoped that our health care providers would share in our enthusiasm. He is one of the best Perinatologists in the country, but the guy needs to work on his social skills and bedside manner.

Oh well, as long as he can ensure us a healthy baby in November, we're all good!

Here are more pictures (taken from the DVD) of our little peanut: