What an exhausting, frenetic, but absolutely heartwarming and special time we had this weekend- spent in the company of our families.
The “exhausting & frenetic” part of the weekend was because between Steve and me, we were trying to unpack (still!), clean the house, run to the grocery stores, and stay atop a never-ending workload. But, it was all worth it. We enjoy having loved ones over, and hope they feel comfortable to come and stay with us whenever they want (we’re looking at you, Mom & Dad H!)
Saturday
On Saturday, my family came over to our house for Brunch to celebrate my Dad’s birthday. Our family needs a reason to celebrate right now; and a birthday is the perfect occasion. If there’s anything I have learned in the past year, EVERYDAY is special – especially a birthday.
I ventured into “SuperPinoyMart” a la Manila Sunset for some pancit malabon and Red Ribbon for a yummy ube cake. It’s tradition for us to serve noodles on a loved ones’ birthday to represent his/her long life, hence the pancit (Filipino noodles). Red Ribbon is where Steve and I got our wedding cake; so of course, I’m partial to their desserts.
In any case, driving to SuperPinoyMart (which in case you haven’t figured out, is just my mass generalization of all these Filipino markets) was a total pain in the rear. Both are located in ghetto-hoods with limited parking spaces and most of LA’s minority population shopping there on a Saturday morning.
No parking + Traffic + Sloooow Shoppers = Me late in hosting my party! By the time I returned to the house, everyone but Mom & Dad was already there. I only had time to make guacamole for the Trader Joe’s blue corn ships and bake the precooked Costco chicken teriyaki. Boo. After meticulously studying recipes on the Food Network and Allrecipes, I had no time to make my Baked Dijon Salmon or special Caesar salad. Hey, at least, the teriyaki was good;)
As always, Evan overshadowed even the birthday boy. Here’s why:
Sunday
The “exhausting & frenetic” part of the weekend was because between Steve and me, we were trying to unpack (still!), clean the house, run to the grocery stores, and stay atop a never-ending workload. But, it was all worth it. We enjoy having loved ones over, and hope they feel comfortable to come and stay with us whenever they want (we’re looking at you, Mom & Dad H!)
Saturday
On Saturday, my family came over to our house for Brunch to celebrate my Dad’s birthday. Our family needs a reason to celebrate right now; and a birthday is the perfect occasion. If there’s anything I have learned in the past year, EVERYDAY is special – especially a birthday.
I ventured into “SuperPinoyMart” a la Manila Sunset for some pancit malabon and Red Ribbon for a yummy ube cake. It’s tradition for us to serve noodles on a loved ones’ birthday to represent his/her long life, hence the pancit (Filipino noodles). Red Ribbon is where Steve and I got our wedding cake; so of course, I’m partial to their desserts.
In any case, driving to SuperPinoyMart (which in case you haven’t figured out, is just my mass generalization of all these Filipino markets) was a total pain in the rear. Both are located in ghetto-hoods with limited parking spaces and most of LA’s minority population shopping there on a Saturday morning.
No parking + Traffic + Sloooow Shoppers = Me late in hosting my party! By the time I returned to the house, everyone but Mom & Dad was already there. I only had time to make guacamole for the Trader Joe’s blue corn ships and bake the precooked Costco chicken teriyaki. Boo. After meticulously studying recipes on the Food Network and Allrecipes, I had no time to make my Baked Dijon Salmon or special Caesar salad. Hey, at least, the teriyaki was good;)
As always, Evan overshadowed even the birthday boy. Here’s why:
Sunday
Mom & Dad H arrived Saturday night from the Sunshine State.

We’ve been very excited to have them see our new home, especially since they have not been out to California since the wedding. Between the house purchase, Steve’s new gig, and Tita Emer’s worsening condition, we have not had the opportunity to visit them since right before our trip to Australia in September ‘07.
Since Sunday was a gorgeous day, we decided to have Brunch someplace other than our kitchen. We drove out to Marmalade Café in the Commons and even caught most of the UCLA vs. Arizona basketball game. (Go Bruins!) Brunch was a relaxed and laid-back experience, with great company and good food.
For dinner, we ended up going to Jerry’s Famous Deli. Steve and I forgot how s-l-o-w service is there, coupled with their way overpriced menu items. Mom H liked her chicken noodle soup, while the rest of ours were – eh, just okay. Nothing to justify the waiting or price$. Next time, we will just go to Cheesecake Factory, which is what Dad H preferred anyway.
In any case, welcome Mom & Dad H! We’re really glad you’re here:)

Since Sunday was a gorgeous day, we decided to have Brunch someplace other than our kitchen. We drove out to Marmalade Café in the Commons and even caught most of the UCLA vs. Arizona basketball game. (Go Bruins!) Brunch was a relaxed and laid-back experience, with great company and good food.
For dinner, we ended up going to Jerry’s Famous Deli. Steve and I forgot how s-l-o-w service is there, coupled with their way overpriced menu items. Mom H liked her chicken noodle soup, while the rest of ours were – eh, just okay. Nothing to justify the waiting or price$. Next time, we will just go to Cheesecake Factory, which is what Dad H preferred anyway.
In any case, welcome Mom & Dad H! We’re really glad you’re here:)



1 comment:
Hey you! I finally got to read your blog....Great Job! Now I can keep up to date with you guyz since we don't get to talk as often as I'd like! :(
I can't believe how big Evan is getting already. Looks like you're all enjoying him!
Anyway, I wanted to know if I can link your blog to my "People I'm Nosy About". No worries, if you'd prefer I didn't...I completely understand (referencing my husband..lol). Let me know!
Post a Comment